Senior Human Factors Engineer
Job Title: Senior Human Factors Engineer
Duration: 6 months
Location: Remote with visits required to Devonport Site, Plymouth
Rate: £50ph – £75ph (7hours per day)
Employment Type: Contract
About the role
We’re looking for a Senior Human Factors Engineers to join us in the Facility Readiness (Defuel) nuclear safety team at HMNB Devonport, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe. We’re a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy.
As a Senior Human Factors Engineer you will be involved in the preparation of Human Factors Substantiation Reports (HFSRs). This substation includes the following processes:
- Development of Fault Trees;
- Calculation of an Initial Human Error Probability (I-HEP) using expert knowledge and experience and taking into consideration the context of the human events (e.g. Performance Shaping Factors (PSFs) and Error Producing Conditions (EPCs)).
HF input to the Verification & Validation (V&V) activities supporting commissioning is also part of this project. This role requires engagement with the wider safety and site teams to understand the wider project to enable the integration of Human Factors. The Defuel project is leading the way at Devonport in integrating this new process for incorporating Human Factors into the wider project, so this is an exciting opportunity to get involved.
What do I need to be able to do the role?
You’ll be educated to Degree level in an Engineering or Scientific discipline and/or have relevant knowledge and experience; a background in nuclear/radiological safety is highly beneficial for the roles we are looking to fill. You’ll be registered as a Chartered Engineer (or be working towards chartered status). You’ll also possesses good interpersonal skills and be competent in verbal and written communication, with the ability to operate and interface effectively with Senior Managers and internal stakeholders. Previous experience in Human Factors work is essential, with experience in using Human Factors related software (e.g. for assessment of Ergonomics/Anthropometrics/Human Error Probability).
What else do I need to know?
- The successful candidate will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving ‘Security Check’ (SC) clearance.
- This post may be based in an environment regulated by Trade Control legislation and involve working with controlled goods, technology and/or services. This may require you to meet enhanced security and regular screening checks
- Passport, Licences/Certificates and Qualification documentation must be available for presentation at interview stage.