Electrical Design Engineer / Marine / Devonport – Hybrid / 12 months
Rate – Up to £70.00 per hour (DOE) Umbrella
Contract Length – 12 month contract
In order to deliver the MoD’s submarine and warship programmes, a significant programme of infrastructure investment is required on the Devonport site. The ‘Major Infrastructure Projects’ (MIP) Business Unit has been established to support this.
One of the key scope elements within MIP is establishing a defuel capability for out of service submarines, which is delivered under the programme banner of Defuel23. This work comprises of a number of interrelated projects to develop various multi-disciplinary infrastructure systems, with an overall value in excess of £100m.
The Dock Readiness project is delivering the infrastructure upgrades for the existing dry dock that will be used for the submarine defuels. The dry dock is within a nuclear licensed site.
Multiple work packages form the Dock Readiness project. This role is part of that Engineering Team that is delivering the designs for each of those work packages.
Main Purpose of Role:
The primary purpose of the role is to ultimately assist and support the Design Manager in the delivery of project scope. This will include the likes of the following;
- Prepare & produce drawings throughout design lifecycle and in line with recognised ISO standards to the required; time, cost and quality requirement’s.
- Prepare, produce and maintain project documentation as required by the design lifecycle, produce and update ‘as built’ /datum pack documentation.
- Liaise with colleagues and stakeholders during design lifecycle to ensure coordination and functionality of design, including contribution to design reviews.
- Develop innovative design solutions and solutions to manufacturing and installation issues by assisting in the resolution of Production and Technical Queries.
- Interface with customers and supply chain on design issues and assist with procurement specifications.
- Assist more senior designers in a range of activities including, production of estimates, maintenance and improvement in standard and quality of outputs, production and test organisations with the compilation of test forms and procedures.
- Fulfil Design Lead responsibilities as assigned for single discipline low risk projects.
- Support ensuring that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences:
- Knowledge of electrical design to relevant codes in either LV Power, EC&I, or Building Services;
- Awareness of installation techniques employed for electrical works;
- Be able to demonstrate relevant awareness and skills required in technical design development;
- Understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements;
- Awareness of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety and Quality requirements;
- Knowledge of relevant engineering computer applications.