Position – Principal Mechanical Engineer
Type – Contract
Rate – Circa £70.00 per hour Umbrella Co
Duration – 12 Months +
Hours – Typically 38 hours per week
Determination – Inside IR35
Security – UK BPSS / SC Security Clearance to be in place
Location – Devonport, Plymouth, UK
Start Date – ASAP !
Overall Department Direction
The Mechanical Services Group forms part of the Engineering Services Facilities Engineering Department and is responsible for delivering a Technical Authority and Design Agency function, supporting the various business units within Devonport Royal Dockyard (DRD), and Ministry of Defence (MoD) establishments.
A temporary full time Senior Design Engineer is required to lead and support a team in providing their Design and Technical Authority responsibilities to the business.
The role allows agile working split between working from home and our on-site office on the Devonport site.
About the Role
Your primary focus will be maintaining and controlling modifications to, and deviations from, the design intent of nuclear implicated and non-nuclear mechanical systems and acting as the custodian of reference design documentation. You will be responsible for supporting design activities from requirements capture, design development, implementation and close out, to through-life support, decommissioning and disposal. You will be focussed on ensuring compliance with Licence Conditions, statutory legislation and design codes/standards, producing design guidance, substantiation and analyses, and delivering against agreed budgets/timescales.
Outline responsibilities of the Senior Design Engineer role include:
- Overseeing staff reporting to the post holder in accordance with Company procedures and to include organising appropriate ongoing training, mentoring and developmental support for staff.
- Leading and working within a team of engineers, planning and organising tasks and facilitating progress
- Production of design documentation and supporting assessments, acting as lead author where appropriate
- Development and delivery of designs in accordance with the design process (Start-up, Concept, Scheme, Detailed and Implementation phases) and relevant legislation
- Lead the provision of advice to line management and other key stakeholders, on the implementation and maintenance of design documentation and compliance with relevant codes, standards and legislation both nuclear and non-nuclear
- Performing, and where appropriate leading, quality checking services with reference to technical speciality / expertise
- Performing, and where appropriate checking, design analyses and associated activities
- Representing Mechanical Services Technical Authority by leading on-site visits and where appropriate, providing guidance and leadership to contract staff
- To support the Mechanical & Nuclear Process Group Manager and Principal Engineer Mechanical Services as Technical Authority for maintaining the Design Intent of Mechanical Services systems owned and operated by Babcock Marine Division at Devonport Royal Dockyard.
- Provision of technical support, advice, guidance and resolutions to optioneering studies, design reviews, HAZOPS etc.
- To support the Principal Engineer Mechanical Systems in the provision, management and development of professional SQEP’d engineering designers under their control in support of Babcock Nuclear Defence Division, MOD and Commercial Project operations, in relation to Mechanical Building Services installations and proposals.
- Produce estimates and assist commercial departments in the production of outgoing tender responses. Provide technical analysis of incoming tenders. Resolution of design sub-contract technical queries
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
- Understanding of mechanical engineering principles for the design, operation and maintenance of Steam & Condensate, Industrial Gases, Fresh Water, Demineralised Water, Domestic Water services etc..
- Knowledge of the design lifecycle
- Knowledge of the general regulations, legislation and standards that are applicable to mechanical services system design
- Knowledge of operating within nuclear or other high-hazard environments
- Knowledge / experience in managing a small team of engineers
With the following personal competencies:
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Good communication skills, both oral and written, including report writing
- Questioning attitude
- Attention to detail
- Logical approach to problem solving and provision of advice
- Flexible approach to allow for reactive nature of work
- An ability to work with others and independently
- Professional attitude and approach to work