Principal Civil / Structural Engineer
Position – Principal Civil / Structural Engineer
Type – Contract
Rate – £55.00 per hour Umbrella Co OR PAYE equivalent
Duration – 12 Months +
Hours – Typically 38 hours per week
Determination – Inside IR35
Security – UK BPSS / SC Security Clearance to be in place
Location – Warrington, Cheshire, UK / Remote (2 days per week office based)
Start Date – ASAP
The successful applicant will form a leading role within a dynamic design team undertaking the design of a major nuclear decommissioning project. After completion of that project there may be opportunities for further work on traditional, bespoke and innovative designs of reinforced concrete, steel and masonry structures for nuclear decommissioning and nuclear new build projects, as well as support to operating nuclear sites.
The projects you undertake will principally be in relation to design of structures associated with state-of-the-art mechanical handling equipment and their process and electrical systems, but can also involve stand-alone civil/structural tasks for a range of sectors. For example, structural inspections and site surveys. These surveys will be undertaken primarily for sites across the UK with some projects based internationally.
Due to the nature of our projects, you will design to various normal and extreme loading scenarios, including seismic design. You will provide technical leadership and expertise, and you will take on the role of Technical Lead on specific projects when required.
The initial project will require that the suitable candidate has a good understanding of reinforced concrete structures and any modification of same. A clear knowledge of steelwork structures and piling foundation systems will be required. A knowledge of marine / dockside and water retaining structures would be advantageous but not essential. This role will be undertaken under the CNL agile working procedures and may entail both working from home and office based work.
• Delivering structural / civils design to support Nuclear projects, inspections and construction site support on projects within the UK and, potentially, overseas. Work encompasses the full lifecycle of a project.
• Concept and Feasibility studies for multi discipline design projects.
• Analysis and Design using engineering software such as Staad.
• Preparation of Calculations, CDM activities, Basis of Design, Material Specifications, Scopes of Work, Technical reports, Inter discipline design coordination and supervision.
• Liaise with Technicians in the preparation of Revit models.
• Working with integrated multi-disciplinary teams to deliver high profile projects.
• Provide technical support to other members of the team.
• Ensure all work to be carried out with a positive attitude toward safety, both in design and in the office environment.
• Responsible for the management of project delivery including developing resourcing profiles.
• Assisting and mentoring team members to promote their technical and professional development, if / as required.
• Degree Qualified (BEng or MEng), Civil / Structural Engineer
• Chartered or Incorporated Engineer with membership of ICE or IStructE, or working toward full membership of ICE or IStructE. These requirements are desirables but consideration will be given to relevant experience.
• Significant experience in the design of structures in reinforced concrete and steelwork. The initial project would involve steelwork design and assessment of existing facilities.
• It would be advantageous but not necessary to have previous experience within the nuclear industry and design for seismic loading.
• Awareness and experience of using the latest design codes and standards.
• Understanding of the relevant legal and regulatory standards.
The base location for this role is Warrington.
A full UK driving licence is required for this role.
Existing security clearance would be desirable for this role. Ideally SC