Senior Design Engineer – Marine / Nuclear – Devon – 6 months
Contract Length – 12 month contract (likely to be extended)
A full time Design Engineer is required to lead and support a team in providing their Design and Technical Authority responsibilities to the business.
The role has flexible working arrangements with time spent remotely, office based and on-site, including in radiologically controlled areas.
The main purpose of the role is to provide technical engineering support and advice, and undertake design activities relating to process engineering supporting dockyard facilities. This includes the maintenance and control of modifications to the design intent of nuclear process plant and equipment across DRDs Nuclear Licensed Site and the MoD’s Authorised Site.
The Nuclear Process Group remit includes the Technical Authority for:
- Active waste collection, receipt, storage, transportation and treatment systems
- Refuel process system support equipment/facilities
- Nuclear process systems supporting submarine maintenance/refit periods
Outline responsibilities of the Design Engineer role include:
- Leading or working within a team of engineers, planning and organising tasks and facilitating progress
- Production of design documentation and supporting assessments, acting as lead author where appropriate
- Development and delivery of designs in accordance with the design process (Start-up, Concept, Scheme, Detailed and Implementation phases) and relevant legislation
- Provision of advice, as directed by line management, on the implementation and maintenance of design documentation and compliance with relevant codes, standards and legislation
- Performing, and where appropriate leading, quality checking services to other engineers
- Performing, and where appropriate checking, design analyses and associated activities
- Representing Nuclear Process Group Technical Authority by leading on-site visits and where appropriate, providing guidance and leadership to contract staff
- Provision of through-life technical support for nuclear process assets
- Provision of technical support, advice, guidance and resolutions to optioneering studies, design reviews, HAZOPS etc.
- Understanding of mechanical engineering principles for the design, operation and maintenance of pressure/pipework systems
- Knowledge of the design lifecycle
- Knowledge of the general regulations, legislation and standards that are applicable to nuclear process and pressure system design
And, technical experience with one or more of the following:
- Pressure systems
- Computer aided design
- Component engineering simulation
- System fluid flow analysis
- Nuclear plant design
With the following personal competencies:
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Good communication skills, both oral and written, including report writing
- Questioning attitude
- Attention to detail
- Logical approach to problem solving and provision of advice
- Flexible approach to allow for reactive nature of work
- An ability to work with others and independently
- Professional attitude and approach to work
A minimum of HNC or equivalent in a mechanical/process engineering discipline.