Senior Integration Engineer – Marine/Nuclear – Devonport – 12 months+
Contract Length – 12 month contract (likely to be extended)
In order to deliver the MoD’s submarine and warship programmes, a significant programme of infrastructure investment is required on the Devonport site. A new ‘Major Infrastructure Projects’ (MIP) Business Unit has been established to support this.
One of the key scope elements within MIP is re-establishing a defuel capability for out of service submarines, which is delivered under the programme banner of Defuel23. This work comprises of a number of interrelated projects to develop various multi-disciplinary infrastructure systems, with an overall value in excess of £100m.
An Operations and Integration Management team has been established to manage interfaces between the Defuel23 sub-projects and various design packages.
The purpose of the Senior Integration Engineer post is:
- Co-ordinating Design integration within and between the Defuel23 projects in order to ensure that the infrastructure, tooling and processes delivered by those programmes provide an holistic and integrated capability for defueling legacy submarines within 14 Dock.
- Supporting the Operations & Integration Manager in describing the holistic design solution and articulating how the Deufle23 design packages will come together to deliver the capability functions through co-authoring the Facility Concept Design Report (and future up-issues through to the Facility Detailed Design Report), and coordinating the Facility Design reviews.
- Supporting the 14 Dock Design & Safety Manager in liaison with key stakeholders (including UAG), discipline leads, operators and users (including the Plant Management Group, Operations and Maintenance) to ensure that an efficient design solution is delivered. Leading coordination of Functional Activity Reviews (FAR) in pursuit of this.
The principal tasks and responsibilities are:
- Co-ordinate with stakeholders and end-users to establish the FAR requirements, coordinate with designers and facility owners to collate evidence to substantiate these requirements.
- Act as lead author for the Facility Design Reports, collating information from the various multi-disciplinary design packages and ensuring that these form a coherent holistic design which is well documented.
- Lead the preparation of the Facility Design Reviews – to present the results of the Facility Design to stakeholders for acceptance.
- Co-ordinate and design spatial layout and process management aspects of facility by integration of the system designs into an overall facility layout.
- Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements, operate and deliver through compliance with Babcock’s Business Management System and Design & Safety Manual.
- Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
The candidate must have;
- Effective writing and presentation skills – be comfortable chairing meetings and talking in front of large groups of senior staff.
- A proven track record working in a highly regulated environment.
- The ability to follow an engineering process and maintain accurate records and document/drawing revision control.
- Experience in project management – planning work, setting a programme and tracking progress against it.
- Experience working in a BIM environment.
- A sound understanding of construction/implementation design and safety practice (including Principal Designer responsibilities under CDM).
- A working knowledge of relevant engineering office computer applications including BIM, principally Navisworks.
- Have experience of design support to construction, operation, industrial facilities or similar specialist applications.
- Clear spoken and written English.
The candidate shall preferably have;
- Submarine maintenance production engineering experience.
- Experience working in a systems engineering environment.
- The candidate will have a degree in an engineering related discipline.
- Preferably Chartered Engineer status and member of relevant institute or significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council at CEng level.