Infrastructure Operations Engineer – North West – HSE – 3 months
Client – Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
Rate – Up to £475 per day (Umbrella)
IR35 Status – INSIDE IR35
Hours per Week – 37 hours per week
Contract Length – 3 months from start date
Location – Currently hybrid with up to 2 days a month on site in Bootle, North West, rest remote working
Security Clearance Required – Live and Active SC Security Clearance
To support the management of the HSE’s hosting estate, ensuring that technologies (data centres, servers, data storage, core switches, back up, load-balancers solutions) remain available, performant to SLAs/OLAs and relevant to business requirements. This role will monitor all technologies in the suite, investigating incidents, resolving problems, and developing and applying fixes and changes. The role will deliver upgrades to technologies, implement new functionality and seek to continuously improve the technologies to support the organisation in better ways. The role will ensure that the technologies remain secure, protecting HSE’s data and users from cyber-attack and unauthorised loss. This role will engage with users, supporting their needs and ensuring that a high quality customer-focused service is delivered.
- Deputise for the Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Hosting)
- Support the planning, budgeting and accounting for the Infrastructure Operations (Hosting) Team’s work
- Continuously monitor and operate HSE hosted technologies (on-premise, PaaS and IaaS), ensuring technologies remain available 24/7/365, performant to SLAs/OLAs, and delivering a good user and customer experience
- Proactively identify and resolve infrastructure issues before they impact the user/customer
- Deliver Incident Management, diagnosing the root causes of incidents, developing work arounds and fixes, to return infrastructure and users to an operational condition
- Deliver Problem Management, diagnosing root causes of problems, prioritising maintenance activity and developing fixes
- Deliver Change Management, continuously seeking to improve technologies, promoting unused functionality and working with users to develop new ways of working
- Deliver Capacity Management, continuously monitoring the utilisation of the infrastructure and forecasting when capacity levels will be breached, recommending remedial actions to be taken.
- Routinely practice and test DR and ITSCM routines to maintain confidence in the resilience of hosted systems.
- Implement upgrades to technologies, keeping them at N or N-1 states, coordinating change activity, engaging with users and ensuring that upgrades are understood and appropriate.
- Document all technologies, including restoration priorities, power-down routines and installation sequencing. Maintain the accuracy of documentation to reflect changes.
- Maintain all hosted infrastructure records in a secure configuration management database with an accurate record of technology assets, by serial number, age and lifecycle refresh point
- Ensure the security of technologies and the IT estate, defending against cyber-arrack, preventing unauthorised access, unauthorised data exchange and data-loss
- Maintain the highest standards of user and customer focus, ensuring that services are delivery to user/customer satisfaction and endeavour to routinely communicate with users/customers to promote, confidence that incidents and problems are being tackled
- Ensure that technologies are routinely backed up and copies of all data and applications securely maintained.
- Technologies remain available and performant to SLAs/OLAs
- Incidents and problems are resolved in priority order and to SLAs/OLAs
- Technologies are documented, with restoration priorities, power-down routines and installation sequencing appropriately available
- Technologies remain secure and user access controlled.
- Users are supported and are satisfied with the high quality services delivered.
- Proven experience with Cisco UCS, HPE 3PAR, VMware, Azure, AWS, Rubrik
- Excellent oral and written communications
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience of cloud-based infrastructure (Azure, AWS)
- Experience of deploying Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- Find ways to improve systems and structures to deliver with more streamlined resources
- Regularly review procedures or systems with teams to identify improvements and simplify processes and decision making
Making Effective Decisions
- Make decisions when they are needed, even if they prove difficult or unpopular
- Ensure all government and public data and information is treated with care in accordance with security procedures and protocols
Leading and Communicating
- Communicate in a straightforward, honest and engaging manner with all stakeholders and stand ground when needed
- Continually communicate with staff, helping to clarify goals and activities and the links between these and Departmental Strategy
- Develop, implement, maintain and review systems and service standards to ensure professional excellence and expertise and value for money
- Promote a culture that tackles fraud and deception and ensures security of information
Delivering at Pace
- Take responsibility for delivering expected outcomes on time and to standard, yet allowing the teams space and authority to deliver objectives
- Regularly monitor own and team’s work against