Principal Safety Engineer
Position – Principal Safety Engineer
Type – Contract
Rate – Circa £65.00 per hour OR PAYE equivalent (DOE)
Duration – 12 Months +
Hours – Typically 38 hours per week
Determination – Inside IR35
Security – UK SC Security Clearance to be in place
Location – Devonport, Plymouth, UK
Start Date – ASAP ?
Regular site attendance required.
A significant programme of infrastructure investment is required on the Devonport site to meet the needs of the future MOD ship and submarine programmes.
The PSA Lead reports to the MIP Head of Nuclear Safety (HoNS) and provides the focal point for probabilistic assessment best practice within MIP and alignment with corporate policy.
Key PSA responsibilities are to:
• Provide expert advice on probabilistic processes and tools appropriate for use within MIP safety cases
• Ensure alignment with and where necessary clarify Babcock policy
• Brief project teams and guide compliance with policy
• Support individual MIP project strategy and plan development and advise MIP HoNS on approval.
• Liaise with the wider Babcock PSA community of practice to co-ordinate policy compliance and manage common technical issues.
• Support Governance through the verification of probabilistic safety assessments and advice to ensure acceptability to internal and external regulators.
• Support project engagement with internal and external regulators.
• Drive continuous improvement in proportionate probabilistic techniques and assessments.
The candidate must have:
• An excellent understanding of industry standards and expectations for probabilistic assessments and the appropriate success criteria
• Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice and principles as relevant to major nuclear infrastructure projects
• Experience in complex PSA planning, implementation and support through regulatory approvals.
You will be highly organised and motivated. You will have:
• Comprehensive editorial and briefing skills, with ability to analyse, summarise and present in a highly effective manner
• Strong communications and interpersonal skills
The candidate must be a Chartered Engineer and will hold a degree in a STEM discipline.