Senior Project Manager
Position – Senior Project Manager
Rate – £’s Sensitive Dependant On Experience – Per Day Rate To Be Discussed – Umbrella Company
Determination – Inside IR35
Duration – 2 Years +
Location – Harwell, Oxfordshire
Industry – Space Satellite / Engineering
Location: Hybrid between Home and Harwell ideal, but, it can be remote with occasional visit to the site if needed (adhoc)
RAL Space department has successfully proposed a small, rapidly developed satellite mission to European Space Agency, ESA, Scout programme, with launch scheduled in 3 years.
The department requires an experienced, full-time Senior Project Manager with experience and expertise commensurate with managing a space mission.
The project is highly complex and requires a project manager in order to ensure smooth running of the delivery schedule and the management of the related team activities.
The mission, EPS-MACCS, will deliver scientific Earth Observation data complex using 3 small satellites in low Earth orbit.
RAL Space is responsible for providing the scientific instrumentation for the satellites as well as their processing system to derive the data of interest to scientists.
It is a rapid development, following the “new space” paradigm.
A suitable candidate will be expected to be able to demonstrate a career profile that exudes an extensive record of successful project management, preferably gained from within a technical environment relating to aerospace activities.
He/she will need to show leadership, enthusiasm, organisation, foresight, empathy, integrity, competence and success with achieving project deliverables; strong team leadership; problem solving skills, and a highly proactive approach towards achieving project goals and objectives.
A high standard of customer focus will also be required, as will excellent capabilities associated with project reporting.
The latter will require, as a minimum, the preparation and timely submission and distribution and, where necessary, oral delivery of project reports (internal and external), progress and review meeting presentations, and meeting minutes.
Also required is the collation and dissemination of project related information, project technical development and delivery tracking, assumption of overall schedule responsibility, with assistance from the project scheduler, and monitoring and Vacancy Validation Template v1.2 25 May 2020 updating of the project risk register.
An awareness of the stringent technical and programme demands associated with spaceflight instrumentation would be an advantage in this respect.
The successful candidate will be expected to work exclusively on the activity and interface with senior management and technical experts located within RAL Space, industrial prime contractor, GOMSpace, and the European Space Agency as customer.
The Project Manager will be assisted by the Project Office Assistant, and a project scheduler.
The Project Manager will also be expected to interact very closely with the technical team.
The Main Duties and Responsibilities of the Senior Project Manager will be to:
• Take responsibility for the definition, documentation and safe execution of a single major project or a number of smaller initiatives; actively participating in all phases of the project.
• Identify and manage stakeholder relationships at a senior level, asking for support where required. Manage internal and external relationships as appropriate.
• Identify, assess and manage risks to the success of the project.
• Effectively estimate costs, timescales and resource requirements for the successful delivery of the project(s).
• Ensure realistic project and quality plans are prepared, maintained and tracked against the plan, providing regular and accurate reports to stakeholders.
• Monitor and forecast costs, timescales and resources used and take action where these deviate from agreed tolerances.
• Manage the change control procedure, ensuring that change is captured, impact assessed and approved. • Ensure that project deliverables are completed within planned cost, timescale and resource budgets. • Provide effective leadership to the project team; take appropriate action where performance deviates from agreed tolerances.
• Actively represent the project team, ensuring effective relationships are built and maintained with the business.
• Ensure that projects are formally closed and where appropriate, subsequently reviewed and lessons learned are captured and actioned. You’ll have:
• Degree level education, ideally in fields of aerospace, engineering or physics, though candidates exhibiting a strong management background derived from an unrelated field may be considered.
• A recognised project management qualification or certification such as APMP.
• A proven track record of successful project management and delivery to tight deadlines.
• Substantial experience in managing and leading project teams, ideally within a technical engineering environment.
• Problem solving and team building skills.
• Ability to work with a diverse and complex project structure.
• Strong customer awareness and complete integrity.
• Very high standard of oral presentation and communication.
• Excellent project coordination and documentation skills.
• Proven expertise and knowledge of project scheduling, including earned value, and risk management It would be great if you also had:
• Knowledge of spaceflight compliancy requirements including product assurance.
• Technical hardware experience.
• Spaceflight hardware component build expertise.
• Knowledge of project financial accounting.