I have a great opportunity for a Technical Buyer to join a well known Defence company, this is a technical procurement role with a strong focus on reducing business risk through identification and mitigation issues in the supply chain.
The Technical Buyer is responsible for the purchase and delivery of components and services into the business in support of the delivery of projects to our customers. The Buyer must have excellent commercial skills, an understanding of MRP planning and delivery of KPI improvements.
- Insert of consumables and BOM materials through the requisition system plus purchasing strategy for indirect production requirements
- Participation in projects to assist with selection and qualification of materials and products.
- Coordinating with project and engineering teams to provide necessary technical input to tactical and strategic purchasing discussions.
- Supporting Projects and Engineering at an early stage with supplier choice.
- Technical purchasing including clarification of technical queries from suppliers and/or internal customers.
- Carrying out technical enquiries and order management including ensuring on-time delivery and compliance with quality, costs, and delivery reliability.
- Daily expediting in order to achieve excellent OTIF and avoid any parts supply issues
- Use MRP (SAGE 200) system to identify materials required and then ensure that these are ordered and delivered on-time.
- Create accurate Purchase Orders ensuring that part numbers, issue numbers, prices, cost centres, exchange rates and other information are entered correctly.
- Negotiate price and delivery lead-time with suppliers. Liaison with Accounts Payable to resolve invoice queries.
- Control rejects, supplier returns and ensure corrective action is put in place to eliminate problem recurrence.
- Audit suppliers with QA.
- Liaison with production & projects to highlight risks and delivery schedules.
- Identify new and qualify alternate suppliers to ensure plans are met.
- Identification of ways of reducing material cost whilst not compromising quality and on-time
- Assisting with continuous improvement of the purchasing processes
- Negotiate improved terms & conditions such as, payment terms, Kanban, delivery, and other methods to reduce cost and risk.
- University degree in engineering or equivalent
- At least 3 years proven previous procurement experience working within a fast-changing engineering or manufacturing environment with the ability to understand and discuss detailed engineering drawings.
- Defence industry experience would be advantageous but not essential.
- Procurement experience of Electronic components, PCB manufacture Mechanical Part manufacture is essential.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills are essential.
- A CIPS qualification is highly desirable but not essential.
- Knowledge of using an MRP system.
- Competent with MS Office software package
- You must be eligible for SC Clearance for this role.
- Contact Dylan Wagster at RTRS for more information