Principal Mechanical Handling Engineer – Nuclear/Marine – Devonport
Rate – Up to £60.00 per hour (DOE) Inside IR35 (Umbrella)
Contract Length – 6 months
Location – Hybrid role with expectations to work between remote working and site work at Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth
The purpose of the Principal Mechanical Handling Engineer post is:
- To manage the delivery of mechanical handling engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost.
- To be responsible for managing the technical aspects of the mechanical engineering packages from identification of the need, through to handover.
The Principal Mechanical Handling Engineer post operates as part of the Major Infrastructure Projects Business Unit.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage one or more technical design packages agreeing project related objectives, managing designer performance and making appropriate technical management responses. Provide Subject Matter Expert advice as per discipline.
- Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
- Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and leading the project’s technical planning process.
- Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements, operate and deliver through compliance with Babcock’s Business Management System and Technical Manual.
- Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
- Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
- Ensure that system delivery of the mechanical engineering packages interface with the other discipline packages to resolve conflicts / clashes.
- Communication of operational capabilities for systems to ensure that the overall operational concept meets the high level capability requirements of the Facility.
- Communicate design specification enabling justification and fulfilment of any associated Safety Functional Requirements (SFRs)
- Communicate on project deliverables to scope, schedule and cost. Raise any technical issues that may have an effect on overall project delivery.
- Demonstration that the designed systems will meet the functional User Requirements.
- Advise on technical governance aspects of deliverables to ensure that quality is of required standard.
- Attain information on current systems, learning from experience, dockyard best practice etc.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- A degree in an appropriate engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer, registered with Engineering Council.
- NUC0793 Nuclear Plant Foundation Course Module 1.
- NUC0794 Nuclear Fundamentals (Foundation) Course Module 2.
- NUC0911 Introduction to Safety Engineering (ITSE).
- Design of cranes in Nuclear Regulated environment with proven experience in substantiation thereof.
- Knowledge of lifting techniques, processes etc. applicable to a Nuclear Licensed production environment.
- Design of conventional mechanical handling equipment to support production activities within a graving dock facility, particular focus on materials handling and flow required.
- Control and protection systems (including SIL rated)
- Seismic analysis of mechanical handling systems
- Substantiation of high integrity mechanical handling systems