Mechanical Designer – Submarine in Water
Marine experience essential
The roles are predominantly required to support our Submarine In-Water Engineering capability at Devonport.
We are looking for reasonably rounded individuals (per discipline) who not only possess 2D (AutoCAD) CAD skills but particularly 3D (Inventor) modelling capability (designers with modelling know-how). They will also ideally be used to working with Autodesk Vault in terms of drawing configuration and control. Submarine/UK MoD experience would also be useful. The individuals will be expected to provide a range of discipline-specific design outputs from parts/assembly modelling to the generation of production outputs. Platform integration is also a key consideration hence the requirement for submarine / ship-repair / ship-build experience if possible.
As for location, as the work is to support existing platforms (Submarines), there will be requirements to be able to attend site (Devonport and/or Faslane) on occasion (as and when needed basis).
Devonport, Plymouth Based
Overall Department Direction
Babcock International are looking to recruit Mechanical Designers to join our Marine Engineering & Systems Division. Our core skills include Naval Architecture, Systems Engineering, multi-discipline design support and project management for new build and in-service commercial and defence vessels. Our state-of-the-art facilities offer world-class efficiency, scale and quality and our customers include: governments, international shipyards and ship owners and energy majors.
Reporting to the Principal Designer, you will work within a team of Mechanical Designers who support numerous and varied projects. With a diverse product portfolio, we offer an exciting opportunity to join an ever-growing business with longevity. Projects include; design packages to support submarine and surface ship refits for the Royal Navy as well as International Commercial and Naval contracts.
Main Purpose of Role
You will be responsible for the generation of design guidance information, including 3D (Inventor) models and design for manufacture outputs, with sufficient detail to enable the safe and effective integration of mechanical system and equipment changes to MOD assets (primarily submarines). As a designer, you will also be required to develop innovative design solutions across the complete design lifecycle and to produce a range of technical outputs and deliverables to the required standards.
Key roles and Responsibilities include:
• Prepare & produce drawings throughout design lifecycle and in line with recognised ISO standards to the required time, cost and quality requirements.
• Prepare, produce and maintain project documentation as required by the design lifecycle, produce and update ‘as built’ /datum pack documentation.
• Liaise with colleagues and stakeholders during design lifecycle to ensure coordination and functionality of design, including contribution to design reviews.
• Develop innovative design solutions and solutions to manufacturing and installation issues by assisting in the resolution of Production and Technical Queries.
• Interface with customers and supply chain on design issues and assist with procurement specifications.
• Assist more senior designers in a range of activities including, production of estimates, maintenance and improvement in standard and quality of outputs, production and test organisations with the compilation of test forms and procedures.
• Fulfil Design Lead responsibilities as assigned for single discipline low risk projects.
What do I need to do the role?
You’ll need to hold an ONC (or BTEC Level 3) in a relevant engineering subject or to hold a suitable qualification with demonstrable knowledge of platform systems, design processes and experience in a design environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
To undertake this role, you need to:
• Have undertaken an engineering apprenticeship in a relevant discipline or possess transferable skills from demonstrable experience in a marine/engineering environment.
• Have experience in working within a technical team.
• Possess a good understanding of system design and design practices as relevant to discipline.
• Have appropriate 2D & 3D CAD skills, written and verbal communication skills and an understanding of risk management.
• Develop close working relationships within the wider technical community including other design, safety and engineering