Senior Marine Engineer
Position – Senior Marine Engineer
Type – Contract
Location – Bristol / Remote Working
Rate – Circa £55.00 per hour – Umbrella Company
Determination – TBC
Security Clearance – UK SC Security Clearance Must Be In Place
Hours – Typically 36 hours per week
Start Date – ASAP ?
2.1 ACTIVITIES TO BE UNDERTAKEN
The post is required to develop and produce the necessary ME-related inputs to enable successful JROC and SOC submissions within the required delivery timescale.
PTME1 is to be prepared to switch tasks, as directed by the PL with little notice.
2.2 REQUIRED SKILLS
The NDP SQEP for PTME1 shall have the following skills/experience:
• A Senior Marine Engineer, Chartered Engineer or equivalent, with 5 or more years’ experience working at that level. If not Chartered then candidates must have a minimum of 9 years’ experience and evidence of ongoing CPD and relevant innovation in recent tasks must be provided;
• Recent (within 3 years) experience of working on naval ship pre-concept and/or concept design studies.
• Experience of naval ship propulsion and power generation design and operation, with emphasis on sizing of propulsion and power generation systems.
• A solid understanding of the electrical power generation and distribution systems on board naval vessels.
• Extensive knowledge of whole ship design associated with performance, ship fit; integration and build-ability with an appreciation and understanding of how the naval architecture and combat systems impact on the ship design and its marine systems;
• Experience of Commercial ship design and class requirements and statutory legislation;
• Ability, experience and proof of producing high quality, well-structured and logically written reports within tight timescales that clearly communicate an understanding of the task, the work carried out, conclusions and recommendations made to the sponsor;
• Team player but able to work with minimum of supervision.
2.3 DESIRED SKILLS
• Demonstrable experience of sizing auxiliary systems, including HVAC.
• Knowledge of the workings and organisations of the UK maritime defence market;
• Experience of Naval Ship Design & Defence Standards;
• Experience of working in a multi company environment in a large project (preferably ship);
• A competence in using 2D/3D CAD packages (Rhino3D and AutoCAD are currently used at NDP);
• Good presentation skills;
• Industrious, output-focussed and with a ‘can do’ attitude directed to the delivery of objectives.
3 DELIVERABLES / TIMESCALES
PTME1 will report directly to the appropriate PL for Platform/Programme based tasking, timings and deliverables. The PLs will manage tasking and resource priority with PE oversight if required. Task Definition Documents (TDDs) will be required and if reprioritised to alternative tasking, the original TDDs will be reassessed, rescheduled or cancelled as jointly agreed and with PE oversight. As required, and if available, PTME1 may be required to support prioritised core tasking under the direct management of PE(MS).
Deliverables into the IFC/Develop Directorate JROC and SOC requirements will be managed via the PL while all technical work approach under this task shall be completed to the satisfaction of the PE(MS).