Principal Firmware Engineer
Are you a talented, motivated engineer looking to be a part of a world-class defence technology company in the heart of Edinburgh?. Creating cutting edge Radars for the Eurofighter Typhoon and SAAB Gripen fighter jets, as well as Maritime and Airborne surveillance systems.
WHAT TYPE OF WORK WILL I BE INVOLVED IN?
You will be involved with FPGA firmware development within the Radar Test Group. The key duties of the role will be design and development of firmware designs, managing development activities through the project and engineering lifecycles and delivering the final solution.
Over time, you will lead a small team of engineers, working on multiple FPGA designs covering different projects. You will also work as part of a larger, multi-disciplinary team focused on delivering test equipment to multiple Radar projects. You will provide technical support across all aspects of the product life-cycle.
Note, that due to the nature of the tasks involved, you will have to achieve full SC security clearance, and may need to satisfy further UK eyes only and ITAR conditions.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
As Principal Firmware Engineer you will be responsible for;
- Hardware requirements capture and management.
- Concept development for complex functions and systems.
- FPGA design and analysis.
- Production of material for design reviews.
- Development of test planning, integration and design verification.
- Management of a team of firmware engineers working across several FPGA designs.
- Mentoring and supervision of more junior team members.
- Ensure that all firmware designs follow the company firmware process.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Experience using FPGA technologies from either Xilinx, Intel (Altera) or Microsemi (Actel) and their tools.
- Experience in advanced verification techniques using either VHDL or System Verilog / UVM.
- Experience in specifying complex timing and area constraints for efficient FPGA Place and Route.
- Ability to analyse system level requirements and derive detailed Firmware requirements.
- A methodical approach to the full firmware design lifecycle, working to a structured firmware process such as RTCA DO-254 or similar.
- Experience of de-bugging firmware designs and supporting verification and integration at hardware and system level alongside Software and Hardware Engineers.
- Experience of making technical decisions and mitigating technical risk for Firmware design activities.
- Ability to communicate effectively across different disciplines both verbally and in written form.
- Ability to work on own or as part of a team including engineers from other disciplines.
- Familiarity with Xilinx Vivado is an advantage, but not vital.
- Familiarity with Mentor Graphics FPGA development tools including HDL Designer and ModelSim / Questa is an advantage, but not vital.
- First or second degree (BSc, BEng, MEng, MSc, PhD, EngD) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (preferable) or related science (eg Physics).